Veggie LIfestyle Thoughts

So I thought that I would take a few minutes to put down on this blog some thoughts that I have been having about my eating style.  In alignment with what I am teaching in my US History courses I have showed Food Inc, an amazing documentary about our food industry.  I watched it before but having to watch it several times a day has really gotten my attention.  I think I need to pay more attention to what I eat and where it comes from.  I am always "watching what I eat" but a lot of times I am looking to save a buck and not thinking about the quality or where my food comes from.


Papa Hunt and I decided that we need to start getting our meat from the local butcher who raises the meat before he sells it in his shop (god bless rural New England where you can look out and see next month's meat in the fields).  Some people would think this is gross but for me it means I know I am getting good quality food.  Yet, for me this doens't seem like enough.  I have been seriously considering becoming a vegetarin (and due to my dairy intolerance technically I would be vegan).


For me this has been a hard thing to think about my family is a family of meat eaters and I am not on some big mission here to change them or anyone else other than myself.  I have always done werid eating things in terms of loosing weight but trying to eat clean has gotten me to realize that eating is more than how many calories we take in, it is what and when we are eating.  This leads me to think more and more about eliminating meat from my diet.


The big question then is how...I don't have the time nor the funds to make two meals one for me and one of the the rest of the family. So my thought is this.  Over the next few months I am going to slowly begin to limit the amount of meat I eat.  I am going to cook more vegetarian meals for the family, get them into the habit of eating more meatless meals (which is good for everyone's health).  Then if I feel that is working maybe over the summer when I have the time to experiment more with cooking I will cut back more and maybe eliminate meat.


Its weird though, I can't honestly say I know 100 percent why I feel that I should cut back on meat. Part of it is healthy, part of it is knowing I will heat healthier which will led to weight loss, part of it an enviornmental/animal thing.  I just sort of feel this is right.  For a long time I have not done what I feel I should because I didn't trust myself....so I figure try it out see how it goes and go from there.


Also, those of you who know me don't panic that I am going to be one of those "Vegan People" not the above I am not making some big political statement I am just trying it out.


What are your thoughts? Anyone a Vegetarian?  Vegan?  Hard core meat eater who will never give up the burger?