Alice Springs Chicken Casserole (Low-Carb, Freezer-Friendly)

My brother-in-law Kelly's version of Alice Springs Chicken from Outback Steakhouse.

Alice Springs Chicken Casserole found on KalynsKitchen.com

(Recipe updated to a smaller and lighter version with better photos and step-by-step instructions, March 2014.)  At Outback Steak House there's a dish called Alice Springs Chicken. made of chicken breasts topped with bacon, mushrooms, cheese and a creamy sauce. My brother-in-law Kelly re-created it back on 2006, and I used his version as the inspiration for Alice Springs Chicken Casserole in the early days of my blog.

The casserole is definitely is a delicious combination of flavors, but my food preferences have changed since then, and now I wouldn't normally make a casserole that uses bottled Alfredo sauce.  But the recipe has quite a few fans, and the original photo was pretty horrible, so recently I re-did this recipe with new photos, making a smaller version of the recipe that's a bit lighter than the one my brother-in-law came up with. 

If bottled Alfredo sauce is a deal-breaker for you, I think it would be fun to try this with Creamy Cauliflower Sauce, something that's been on my to-try list for ages now, and using the Creamy Cauliflower Sauce would also make this gluten-free. If anyone tries that option, I'd love to hear how it works!

Click to continue reading