Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup

For everyone who loves Red Beans and Rice, here are the same flavors in a slow cooker soup!

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup with Chicken Andouille Sausage

For years I've been a fan of Red Beans and Rice made in the slow cooker, and that recipe has been quite a hit on the blog.  What inspired me to come up with a version of slow cooker red beans and rice in soup form was the discovery of Amylu Chicken Andouille Sausage at Costco, a product I'll probably use now when I make the original red beans and rice recipe.  Sadly the sausage didn't show up at Costco in time for me to post this recipe for Mardi Gras, but these flavors always help me remember great times I've had in New Orleans, and love the spicy flavors that city is famous for.

When I shared some of this with my sister Pam she wasn't sure if her family would like it, since some of them don't like things too spicy, but halfway through dinner she texted me and said it was a hit.  If you're cooking for kids you might use a bit less of the spicy Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning though, and those who want more heat can add Green Tabasco Sauce at the table.

Click to continue reading