Lentil Soup with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Cumin (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

This Vegan Lentil Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes has plenty of flavor from the cumin and other spices.

Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Cumin

(Updated with better photos and step-by-step instructions, March 2014.)  In Utah we're having a burst of spring-like weather lately.  Not that I would ever complain about spring coming early, but all winter I've been cooking and re-photographing some of my favorite soups from the past and now I'm feeling like I need to get them posted before it really is spring.  My love of lentils is pretty well documented on the blog, and this lentil soup from 2008 is made mostly from simple pantry ingredients, but it's loaded with flavor due to the cumin seeds, ground coriander, onions, garlic, and paprika that flavor the soup.  This delightful soup is vegan, but if you don't care about that I'd love this with a generous dollop of Greek yogurt added at the table.

Click to continue reading