Low-Carb Baked Swedish Meatballs Recipe (Gluten-Free, Can Be Paleo)

Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Swedish Meatballs, and they're baked instead of fried.

Low-Carb Baked Swedish Meatballs Recipe (Gluten-Free, Can Be Paleo) found on KalynsKitchen.com

I'm always happy when I can get a halfway decent photograph of meat, especially ground meat, and these Low-Carb Baked Swedish Meatballs that I first posted in 2007 were desperately in need of a photo update!  The recipe was inspired by Oven-Baked Swedish Meatballs from a Swedish food blog called Anne's Food, but if your experience to Swedish Meatballs is limited to Ikea Swedish Meatballs, it might be only the seasonings used in this recipe that are familiar.  

What I loved about Anne's recipe is the finely chopped onion, that she didn't use breadcrumbs or serve the meatballs with a creamy gravy, and the way they were baked instead of fried, and when I made these again for new photos I took it one step healthier and switched out half the meat for ground turkey sausage.  I tested the recipe with my niece Kara, and we both thought they were delicious.  If you don't care about making the meatballs lower in fat you could also use all ground beef, half ground pork, or half pork sausage.

Of course not using breadcrumbs makes these delicious meatballs Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, and the meatballs also Can Be Paleo if you use approved meats. They're also South Beach Phase One, and they were featured for Phase One Fridays back in April 2013. That's when I added them to the list for a new photo, so I'm happy they finally made it to the front of the line!

Click to continue reading