Creamy Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas


My husband spent time in Mexico as a kid, and as a result he pretty much devours anything resembling Mexican food. Whenever I'm meal planning and I ask him what he'd like to eat later in the week, his response is "Tacos, burritos, fajitas, quesadillas...."

I stopped asking him.

Since I know he is always in the mood for Mexican, I wait for the craving to strike me. So when the hankering for enchiladas came over me I created these little babies. The results were gooooooo-oooood!


Recipe by Meal Planning 101
_________________________________________________________________________________

Serves 6


Filling:
1 tablespoon oil
1 tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp chili powder
4 chopped green onions, green parts reserved
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
1 can of black beans (use only half if also making Taco Rice with Corn and Black Beans)

Sauce:
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz can diced green chilies
10 oz can ½ fat cream of mushroom soup
½ cup salsa
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
1/3 cup sour cream

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
6 (12 inch) flour tortillas (any flavor)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.

In a sauté pan heated to medium-high heat , add 1 tbsp of oil. Sauté chicken thighs for a couple of minutes and then sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, salt (to taste) and pepper. Mince 2 cloves of garlic and add to the pan along with the white part of the chopped green onion. Sauté for a couple more minutes. Drain and rinse a can of black beans and add to the mixture. Heat through 1 minute and then remove from heat.

In a medium bowl add the minced garlic clove, and then stir in the green chilies, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, salsa, chili powder and cumin. Mix well. Add ½ cup of this mixture to the chicken and beans and stir to combine.

Divide the chicken mixture into 6 portions (should be approximately ½ cup each). Fill a tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll up. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Continue doing this with the remaining chicken and tortillas.

Spoon the reserved sauce over the rolled tortillas and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Top with reserved chopped green onions, and more sour cream and salsa if you like. Serve with Taco Rice with Corn and Black Beans or your own favorite rice.

Click here for printable version of Creamy Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas
____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I don't want to toot my own horn (but I will anyways), but this was AWESOME!! My whole family scarfed down their enchilada, including me. My husband admitted that as much as he loves Mexican food, he's never had an enchilada he's liked before.

Did he like mine? Does telling me at least 56 times tonight that I am the best wife ever, that he loves my cooking, and that these were worth 10 stars count?

Variations:

  • These could be assembled ahead of time and stored in the fridge. When ready to eat, just pop in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
  • You could make these meatless by making the Taco Rice with Corn and Black Beans and using that as the filling instead of the chicken and black beans.
Meal Ideas: