Miso Soup


I don't have a close up picture of this dish, but a picture of our entire Japanese Night Feast. The Miso Soup is in the smaller bowls. It has the white chunks floating in it.



Another interesting addition to our Japanese Night was Miso Soup. A popular Japanese soup, yet something I had never tried. I'm always up for new things.

*Recipe from Allrecipes.com
____________________________________________________________________

Serves 4

2 teaspoons dashi granules
4 cups water
3 tablespoons miso paste
1 (8 ounce) package silken tofu, diced
2 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces

This soup comes together so quickly! Get a medium pot and bring the water and dashi granules to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, add the miso paste and stir so it melts. Add the diced tofu and green onions. Let simmer for a couple minutes and then serve.

Click here for printable version of Miso Soup
____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?

This was my first taste of Miso Soup and I have to say...it's interesting. Definitely not a flavor I have had before. I think I heard somewhere it's called "Salty Soup" which perfectly describes it. My biggest problem with the soup was the texture of the tofu...I didn't like that it was soft and kind of "jellyish". I think if the tofu was a firmer one I would have liked it much more. So I'm not making any final judgements about Miso Soup, because I'm am going to try it again with a firmer tofu.

To have your own Japanese Night, try these other recipes:
Maki Sushi
Donburi
and serve with a pot of Green Tea or "Popcorn" Tea (Genmaicha)