German Chocolate Upside Down Cake

CSC_0896

I don’t know where I originally saw this, but the concept seemed SO delicious to me. We LOVE German Chocolate cake around our house. In fact it’s my husbands favorite cake…and my dads…and my father-in-laws. It’s also my husbands boss’s favorite. Guess it’s a guy thing:)

CSC_0897

So naturally I had to try it. It was SO good! It’s the perfect alternative to making a whole layered cake and it even stayed moist and delicious the next day! When I sent it with Justin to work (after taking a slice for myself) I found myself thinking about it hours after he took it…then I called him later that day and told him to hightail it into the office kitchen and save whatever was left for me. It’s lick your lips good!

1 cup flaked sweetened coconut

1 cup chopped pecans

1 package (18.25 ounces) German chocolate cake mix

eggs, water, and oil as directed on package

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature

1/2 cup butter, room temperature

1 pound (about 3 1/2 cups) powdered sugar

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Grease and flour a 9x13 baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.

Spread coconut and pecans on baking sheet and roast in oven until evenly toasted, stirring every so often.

Sprinkle coconut and pecans evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Prepare cake mix with the appropriate measurements of water, oil, and eggs, following the package directions. Pour the cake batter over the coconut and pecans. Beat together the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar. Drop by spoonful's over the top of cake batter. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the cake portion.

Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for about 10-15 minutes. To remove from pan, place the bottom side of a cookie sheet on top of the cake in the baking dish. Carefully turn over to release cake from the dish. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. You can enjoy it warm or cool…it’s divine either way!