Roasted Garlic and Acorn Squash Soup


Do you like squash?

I've mentioned before that squash is not my favorite veggie, and I still have the impression sometimes that I won't like it.  My friend Eryn is a fantastic, creative cook and I am always so impressed with her concoctions.  But when she was having my husband and I over for dinner one night and told me she was making Acorn Squash Soup, I have to admit I was worried.  Squash is always paired with orange, apple or ginger in soups and I REALLY don't like that combo.  It always tastes so....so....squashy.  And fruity.  You know?  As Eryn worked away in the kitchen I asked "soooooo, what's in the soup?" all nonchalantly.

"I threw in some roasted garlic" she said.

Oh.  That's different.

"and some cumin.  It adds a nice smokiness, so it doesn't taste so much like...you know...squash."

Ha!  She totally got it.  Her combination sounded really nice, so I was eager to try it. To fancify everything, she coated some shrimp in tempura batter, then sesame seeds and fried them.  They sat up nicely on top of the soup.

One bite and I was hooked.  This was a totally different take on squash.


Recipe by Eryn Pike
__________________________________________________________________________________


Serves 4

2 acorn squash
1 bulb of garlic
2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup cream
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds.  Place cut side down in a baking dish with 1/4 inch of water.  Roast for 30 minutes, then turn over and roast another 30 minutes.  While the acorn squash is roasting, cut the top off a bulb of garlic.  Place the garlic in a sheet of tinfoil, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and wrap up.  Roast in the oven alongside the acorn squash.  The garlic will take 45-60 minutes.

Once roasted, remove the squash and garlic from the oven.  Scoop the acorn squash out of its skin and place in a blender.  Squeeze the soft caramelized garlic from it's skin into the blender as well.  Add the stock, cumin and cream.  Puree until smooth.  Pour into a medium pot on the stove and heat for a couple minutes to bring up to temperature and let the flavors meld.  Season with salt and pepper then serve.


__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I love that without maple syrup or apple juice or anything else, the sweetness of the acorn squash is there, along with the sweetness of the caramelized roasted garlic.  The cumin adds something a little different, and I love it's smoky earthiness.  Simple, simple.  The cream isn't even necessary, it's very creamy without it, it just adds a bit of richness.  But totally optional.

And if you were able to make some tempura, sesame crusted shrimp, I highly suggest them paired alongside this soup.  Or maybe some nice crusty, homemade croutons set up on top.  

Meal Ideas:
  • Sesame-Crusted Shrimp + Roasted Garlic and Acorn Squash Soup
  • Salad with Balsamic Dressing + Roasted Garlic and Acorn Squash Soup