Honey Banana Muffins

CSC_0806

Sometimes I get obsessed with what I feed my kids…especially when I’m pregnant and have lost most motivation to make an effort in this area. After a few days of noticing they aren’t eating the most healthy things, I go on a “health binge” with them. I’ve been wanting to find a really good “healthy” muffin and have tried several recipes and came up with these. There’s no sugar – it’s sweetened with honey, plenty of whole wheat flour and flax seed. I’ve become a HUGE supporter of flax seed as of late. It’s such a healthy grain that can be added to most anything. I ALWAYS add it to my muffins, pancakes, waffles, breads, etc. I highly suggest trying it – it bumps up the nutritional value significantly. I buy mine milled from Costco in a huge bag that has an incredibly long shelf life. I just throw it in whenever I can.

ANYWAY, I judge how good things are based on my kids’ reaction to them. If they finish it in a few seconds and ask for more, I know it’s a winner. After eating 2 of these and asking for a 3rd, I knew I’d found a gem:) They’re kid approved and hey, I say if its healthy and the kids love them, it’s a success!! So if you’re looking for a healthy option to give your kids while they still think they’re getting a special treat, look no further!!

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup all-purpose flour (you definitely can use ALL whole wheat)

1 t baking soda

1/2 t cinnamon

1/4 t salt

4 T milled flax seed (this can be left out if you don’t have it)

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (usually 2 bananas)

1/2 cup unsweetened, all natural applesauce

6 T honey

1/2 cup raisins, crainsins, or chocolate chips (your choice)

In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Combine the eggs, banana, applesauce and honey in another bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the raisins or chocolate chips

Line a muffin tin with liners and fill 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

*I also like to make these in a mini muffin tin so they are easier for kids to pop them in their mouth. Or make them half mini and half regular.

*Makes about 14-16 muffins

* From All Recipes