Beef Barley Soup


Once I had tasted how amazing the Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast was, as well as how flavorful the broth was I knew I had to turn it into soup. The roast makes way more broth than you can actually eat with the roast, so why not use it up and stretch it into another meal?  Of course if you don't have leftover roast broth, you can just use beef broth.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Serves 6

2-3 cups leftover Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast stock (if you don't have leftover roast stock, use 6-7 cups of beef broth and don't add any water)
4 cups water
1/2 cup pearl barley
2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1-2 cups leftover roast beef, diced
1 tbsp oil
Salt and pepper


In a large stock pot, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add diced carrots, celery, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Saute veggies until soft and onions are translucent about 5-8 minutes. Then add leftover beef, beef stock from the roast, water and pearl barley. Turn heat to medium-low, add a lid and simmer for 35-45 minutes (so the barley can get tender). Stir occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with warm bread or buns.

Click here for printable version of Beef Barley Soup
__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
This soup was sooooo good. When I told my husband I was making Beef Barley Soup he looked at me and said "meh...not too exciting" (that's what I get for cooking him Indian, Japanese and other ethnic foods!) Once he tried the soup he retracted his statement. He said it was the best Beef Barley Soup he'd ever had. The fabulous flavor definitely comes from the roast stock. It's so yummy! I will definitely be making the 3-Packet Roast again and I will always plan to make this soup the next day.