Hummus


I'm really loving Elise's recipes at Simply Recipes these days. It seems she's always catching my eye when I'm searching for a recipe, and not to mention all the one's I've tried so far have been bang on. This hummus recipe is just that...BANG ON.

This was my first time making hummus homemade, and boy do I feel silly that I've never done it before. You know how much work it is to make? So little work you will feel silly too just reading the directions. This would make a fabulous dip to serve to company that pops over unexpectedly...provided you have a can of chick peas and some tahini hangin' around. But I'm sure you will after you've tried this recipe.

Recipe from Elise at Simply Recipes
____________________________________________________________________

Makes about 1 1/2-2 cups



2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup of tahini (roasted, not raw)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Dump everything in the food processor and let 'er rip. Serve with pita's, as a side to a Greek meal, as a dip for veggies or as a spread for sandwiches. I could eat this stuff on anything.

Click here for printable version of Hummus
____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
Are you kidding me?! I will never again buy hummus. Homemade is so fresh and delicious tasting and not to mention it's way more budget-conscious to make it yourself. Wow. So good. After eating this with our lamb souvlaki and pitas, the next day I gorged myself and ate only hummus and pita for lunch.

The only expensive component to this recipe is the Tahini. It was approximately $4.00 and using 1/3 cup means I could make 3 batches of hummus. I think I will experiment with cutting it down to 1/4 cup just to make the tahini stretch a bit further. That's only if it doesn't affect the flavor...because right now it's DANG good!