Homemade Pizza Dough

I had never before attempted to make homemade pizza dough, but figured it couldn't be too hard. I thought it would taste better than a pre-baked pizza shell or refrigerated pizza dough, so I decided to give it a whirl. Seeing as though this recipe was the highest rated pizza dough on Allrecipes.com, I went with it.

But it is not good.

Don't make this pizza dough.

*Recipe from Allrecipe.com
_________________________________

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, then add oil and warm water. Mix and roll out. Top with your favorite sauce and toppings and then bake for 20-25 minutes.

_________________________________________

THE RESULTS?

No good. Actually pretty bad. It was edible because the sauce and toppings I used were really tasty, but the crust never fully cooked. I even rolled it out into thin crust, and baked it for about 35 minutes. When we removed it from the pizza pan, the crust was really soggy, so we put it back in the oven directly on the rack to let the bottom crisp up. We even broiled it! And it never fully cooked or got crispy.

Either I screwed something up, or it's just a bad recipe. I'm figuring I didn't screw anything up, because the directions just said to throw everything in a bowl, mix and roll. It's supposed to be "convenient" that you don't let it rise. And while yes it was convenient, it did not rise, nor did it fully cook all the way through. So "convenience" does not win out over flavor or texture in my books. I won't add this recipe to my archives and it will be my first post tagged "flop". Yep...no good.


So since this was such a terrible recipe, anybody have a really great homemade pizza dough recipe they want to share with me? Preferably not a bread machine recipe (since I don't have one). I need to redeem homemade pizza in my husbands eye's.