Garbanzo Bean (Chickpea) Soup Recipe with Garlic, Sumac, Olive Oil, and Lemon (Slow Cooker or Stovetop)

Garbanzo Bean SoupEver since I rediscovered it when I made Fattoush, I've been loving the flavor of Sumac, the maroon-colored spice you see sprinkled on top of this soup, but if you don't have any Sumac, don't let that stop you from making the soup if you like hummus, falafel, or any of the other tasty things made with garbanzo beans. You can certainly use some smoky paprika (which is how it was served by Gail from The Pink Peppercorn, who posted the Chickpea Soup recipe that inspired me to try this in the crockpot.) I started with dried beans and a bit of skepticism as I added onions, garlic, and chicken stock to the crockpot with cumin and a few bay leaves, but after cooking all day on low, the beans were softened and smelling great. This was my first soup of fall, and although I always hate to see summer end, I really enjoyed the soup.

Click to continue reading