Recipe for Low Sugar and Whole Wheat Apple-Pear Cake with Cinnamon and Pecans

Low Sugar and Whole Wheat Apple-Pear Cake with Cinnamon and Pecans
Low Sugar and Whole Wheat Apple-Pear Cake with Pecans.

There's something about cinnamon-laden cakes with fruit that just screams Autumn, but this cake recipe actually got started when it was still summer and I had a surplus of zucchini and made a low sugar and whole wheat Garden Harvest Cake with apples, zucchini, and carrot. Despite the fact it looked more like a bread than a cake, it was definitely one of my favorite new recipes of the year. At the time I wondered if you could adapt the recipe to make a cake with just apples, but recently when I had both pears and apples I decided to try it with that combination. Apples and pears together in a low sugar cake sounded so good to me, but my first attempt was far too wet, and I also decided I wanted a flat cake instead of the loaf pan the original recipe called for. It took me two more cakes to get to the version you'll find in this recipe, which is a low sugar dessert that I'm thinking just about anyone would enjoy, or make it with all sugar if you prefer.

Click to continue reading