Sausage and Red Russian Kale Soup Recipe with Tomatoes, Chickpeas, and Herbs

Kale, Sausage, and Garbanzo Soup
Sausage and Red Russian Kale Soup with Tomatoes, Chickpeas, and Herbs will warm you up!

(Salt Lake is having a few weeks of below freezing temperatures, so a hearty and warming soup like this one seems perfect for A Month of Daily Phase One Recipes.  I'm trying to stay upbeat about the broken arm, and some hot soup like this could really help!)

I first made this soup when it snowed in Salt Lake and I was home sick with that coughing thing teachers get each year from being around too many small people with germs. I didn't feel much like cooking, so I was very glad to have soup in the freezer that I'd made in August when my garden was overflowing with Red Russian Kale. In the soup I used Colosimo's Tuscan Sausage, made by a local Utah company, and also added some fresh herbs from my garden. There must be a thousand variations on soups like this with sausage, kale, and beans, but I thought this version was delicious.

Click to continue reading