Slow Cooker Recipe for Vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup with Tomatoes, Spinach, and Feta

Slow Cooker Greek Lentil Soup
Delicious vegetarian lentil soup with Greek flavors and a sprinkling of Feta!

How about an ultra-tasty lentil soup for A Month of Daily Phase One Recipes?  I've been a lover of lentils for quite a few years now so there are many variations of Lentil Soup on my blog, but when I spotted a recipe for Greek Lentils with spinach and Feta in the American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, I couldn't resist turning it into a soup.  And since lentils are a limited food for Phase One, I added other ingredients like celery, tomatoes, and lots of stock so I could have a larger serving.  This slow cooker recipe starts with just lentils, chopped celery and onion, garlic, vegetable or chicken stock, canned tomatoes, and spices, and if you chop the vegetables the night before it's easy to throw in the slow cooker in the morning and let it cook all day.  When you get home, add chopped spinach to the soup with some lemon juice and cook a bit longer, then scoop into bowls, add Feta, and you have a tummy-warming soup for dinner.   I've never used Feta as a soup topper before, but I loved how it added a vibrant burst of flavor. 

Click to continue reading