Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) Soup Recipe with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Basil

This Chickpea Soup with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Basil is a meatless Phase One recipe.

I'm featuring a Month of Daily Phase One recipes during January, and since it's Sunday night, I'm sharing this favorite meatless chickpea soup, perfect for Phase One, or for anyone who's looking for ideas for Meatless Monday tomorrow.  This is one of the soups I made during the holidays for my annual soup party, only when it came time to stir in the basil I found I didn't have any of that wonderful frozen basil that usually lasts me through the winter.  What I did have in my freezer was plenty of basil pesto, so I just stirred some of that into the soup instead.   It was such a hit that I'm going to add that option to the recipe along with the new photo you see above.  I know phase one main dishes can be challenging for vegetarians, but this soup is a meatless recipe that won't leave you feeling deprived!

Click to continue reading